November 9, 2011

Like Chicago Weather

Friends have been asking how we are doing (and I am so touched by how many people are remembering us). I've told a few people that it feels like I was used to juggling two balls, and now I've got three; I have a sense of how it should all work, but it's taking a lot more energy and focus than it used to.

I have a new analogy now--we're kinda like Chicago weather. Some moments are like that first spring day where everyone's out on the lake path--the older two are playing well together, Caroline's content, the house isn't sticky, and dinner's going to make it onto the table. Other moments are like late February when the snow has turned brown and frozen over and there's the realization that there may be months more of this. I won't go into what that looks like in our house, but I am sure you can imagine.

The nice thing is that, like Chicago weather, if you wait a few moments the temperature will likely change.

This analogy came to mind because that's exactly what happened with the weather today. We woke up to a day that was grey and wet. I began to go through my mental list of ways to keep both Hamilton and Veronica engaged and active. At about 9 am, I was prepping the materials for a hallway-relay-race, I looked up and could not believe what I saw. The sun was shining and the sky was blue! I ran to the computer to check the temperature; it was 58 degrees. I literally called out, "Children, socks, shoes...quickly!" Within 5 minutes (possibly a new record), we were out the door and to the park. Yes, it was wet, but who knows how many more park visits we will get before snow and ice (and who knows when the next meltdown will occur).

It was a little tricky taking pics of sweet Caroline, since she was strapped to me. She instantly fell asleep when we stepped outside. I think she enjoyed the fresh air as much as the rest of us.





Hamilton forwent the playground equipment for more natural diversions, such as autumn leaves and puddles.




I think in this last picture he's saying something like, "Mom, my shoes are off because they are wet. "

Veronica was racing motorcycles and loving it. In fact, none of the pictures did it justice, so here's a video.



You'll notice a the end that it no longer looks sunny or calm. In fact, about 2 minutes after that recording, we loaded up into the stroller and headed for cover before we got what felt like freezing rain. (And, as I type this, later the same day, it is officially 37 degrees in Chicago--a whole 20 degrees colder).

So back to the analogy--we couldn't count on that sun staying out forever (or even all morning). Likewise, the relative calm in our house didn't last either (once again, I won't bore you with the details, but trust me, chaos would be an appropriate descriptor). But I am learning to be thankful for the moments we do have and remembering that the chaos (and winter) won't last, either.



No comments: