November 16, 2011

The Dentist (and Fireman) are People in Your Neighborhood

Today was Veronica's first dentist appointment. Actually, it was just another one for Hamilton and I asked if they could do Veronica's first "appointment" at the same time. (Our dentist's office is great--they do an orientation appointment to just get kids used to the surroundings and people). But, for the official record book, today was the day. So I tried to prepare them: we checked out and read several dentist books, I talked up Hamilton's role in showing Veronica how it's done, and I brought the camera.

Boy am I glad I brought the camera.


We got there early so that the kids could enjoy all the cool toys. When the hygienist came out and called them back, Hamilton did a great job of leading the way and Veronica was happy to follow anything he did.

Now, I should mention that there was a bit of an odor at the office. I noticed it upon getting there, but assumed someone was getting a procedure done that used something with a smell (I had a root canal done this summer and there was something they put in my mouth that tasted like that smell). But, after the kids headed in, I heard the desk staff talking about the smell, so naturally, I asked about it.

And then this arrived...





Apparently, the fire department had been alerted to the smell and needed to come in and check it out.



This fireman went in and said hi to Hamilton while he was in the chair. He was also a little taken aback by my request to take his picture (but so kindly obliged).

Shortly thereafter, the kids were done with a "thumbs up" appointment and they came out to the waiting room to play some more while the firemen walked around inspecting. (Note: I was glad this appointment went well, because last time I got a "Your son doesn't want his teeth cleaned" message).

The patients with the dentist and hygienist...too busy checking out their new toothbrushes to smile.

As I walked to the counter to finish the paperwork, etc., the fire chief approached me and said, "We're just doing this as a precaution, but at this point, we are not sure where this smell is coming from and not sure whether or not it's flammable, so I am going to have to ask you to please put on the kids coats and leave."

Um, yes, I'll get my things and go.

Although we did get this photo with the fire truck:


my city kids' reactions to waiting for the bus next to 4 fire trucks, an ambulance, several police cars, etc. was more like this:




Oh to grow up in the city!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I guess fire trucks are SO last season! Or just a dime a dozen in the city! I love your video at the end because really it IS all about the balloons & treat bags! I'm SO glad that I'm not the only one who gets lots of photos of the top of my kids' heads...because they will not look up from the trinket du jour.
Other than the strange smell, glad the dentist visit went well!

Sarah said...

oh my word, OH MY WORD! my boys would have tossed the bags to the wind and run full-force to those firetrucks! too funny that H and V were way too focused on toothpaste... CUTENESS! and, did you ever read/hear what the smell was? i'm so curious to know. i'm glad your outing with THREE little ones to the dentist went off a-ok and that the kids had fun. and you, friend, are at the top of my list for super-hero moms.

Jayme and Cory said...

seriously, what was that smell??? I love that you brought the camera to document this whole thing. You make this three kiddos thing look like a piece of cake, momma!