August 16, 2011

Impromptu Beach Day

According to Google Maps, the 12th Street Beach is 1.7 miles from our house. Actually, that's the walking distance; as the bird flies, it would be just under a mile. So you'd think that we'd have actually visited the beach at some point. Nope. Part of it is I have a hard time just relaxing for long periods of time (ask Freeman). I like doing things with a purpose. But really, the main reason is I don't know how I would manage two little ones--who almost always want to go in different directions--with Lake Michigan right there.

So, last Saturday Freeman takes Hamilton out for a bike ride while Veronica and I spend some quality time at home (unloading dishes, sweeping--yeah, I am the fun one!). I get a call that they made an impromptu stop at Oak Street Beach and that Hamilton was loving it. So, Veronica and I pack it up and head up to meet them for some fun beach action.

Hamilton playing in the sand as we arrived. He had found a clear plastic cup and turned it into his own mini-lake with sand, water, and things I wouldn't feel completely comfortable touching.


The kids were really excited about going into Lake Michigan. They were fascinated by the waves and sea weed. There weren't too many photos of all of this, though, given that I was always holding onto one of them (and yes, that is a t-shirt and skirt--what can I say).

Hamilton practicing his swimming while Veronica's waiting for the next wave.

We would have probably stayed all afternoon, but off in the distance, we saw this:
Though the beach volleyball crew seemed unfazed, we decided to call it a day and avoid the downpour. Even though our impromptu beach day was cut a bit short, I would call it a success and suspect we'll aim for another one before the season is out. Yay for fun family time!




2 comments:

Sarah said...

oh what i wouldn't give for a day at lake michigan! really, there is NO better place to enjoy a summer day. so happy you live close enough to walk and let your kids enjoy it... you won't realize what a gem you have until you move away from it!

Jayme and Cory said...

Those photos are great! Looks like you're in the carribean, not downtown Chicago. Glad you're having a fun summer. I want belly shots, please!